I really cannot recommend the course highly enough, I would urge anyone who has or looks after a child to come and see you and your team and learn the skills that could downscale a potential tragedy into something that is simply unpleasant but manageable.Sarah Wilder
First Aid for Life is an award-winning, fully regulated first aid training provider. Our trainers are highly experienced medical and emergency services professionals who will tailor the training to your needs. We specialise in paediatric first aid training.
Legislation from the Department of Education requires all newly qualified level two and three child carers to have either an emergency paediatric first aid or full paediatric first aid certificate. To view the latest EYFS guidance 2017 please click here.
It remains a legal requirement for at least one person with a valid full 12-hour paediatric first aid certificate to be available at all times within a professional child care establishment. This includes cover for sickness and annual leave and to accompany children on trips or excursions. Millie’s Mark requires you to have all staff trained to the 12 hour, full paediatric first aid standard.
First Aid for Life offer the 12-hour Full Paediatric First Aid course as convenient blended learning, with 6 hours online interactive pre-learning, followed by a 6 hour practical course. We also offer an option of 2-day practical courses for groups.
The one day Emergency Paediatric First Aid course is an option if you are a nanny or childcarer registering on the voluntary childcare register or if you are a newly qualified child carer complying with the latest legislation.
Our paediatric courses are recognised by Ofsted for the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework and fulfil Childcare Registration requirements and the DfES Approved Carers Scheme. This course can be used as evidence for employees working towards the NVQ in Childcare and Education.
First Aid for Life paediatric first aid training:
- Covers AED/defibrillator training, emergency life support, anaphylaxis, head injuries, asthma and the full Ofsted syllabus.
- Is multi-award winning training tailored to your needs and the needs of the children you care for.
- Is taught by highly experienced medical, health and emergency services professionals.
- Includes adult, baby and child first aid in a childcare setting to equip you with skills to help staff, parents and children.
- Paediatric First Aid Certificates valid for 3 years are awarded on the day.
Scheduled courses are held in small groups in our lovely bright training room in Balham SW12. With easy access from Balham mainline and Northern line tube and free parking at weekends.
First Aid for Life have trained thousands of child carers; schools, nurseries, childminders, nannies, au pairs, teachers, parents and childcare professionals wishing to gain the skills and confidence to provide immediate medical care in an emergency.
Our Paediatric First Aid courses are run on the same day as our full day Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) course as the syllabus is extremely similar and both cover adult, baby and child first aid – the course will always be tailored to your needs.
- Nannies & au pairs
- Nursery staff
- Playgroup leaders
- Parents & grandparents
- Anyone looking to be Ofsted Registered or working towards the NVQ in childcare and education
- Anyone working with or looking after children of any age
Every course is tailored to the needs of those attending – please let us know if there are particular areas you need us to cover.
By the end of the course you will have learnt:
- Assess and treat an unconscious casualty
- Perform CPR on an adult, child and baby
- Put an adult, baby or child into the recovery position
- Treat a person who is choking, bleeding or suffering from burns or broken bones
- Recognise and treat a febrile convulsion, asthma attack and other emergencies
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of meningitis, croup and other illnesses
- Action in an emergency and prioritising treatment
- Treatment of an unconscious breathing casualty (recovery position)
- Heart attack
- How and when to use a defibrillator
- Resuscitation in adults, babies and children (CPR)
- Anaphylaxis and how to use an adrenaline auto-injector
- Breathing problems such as asthma and croup
- Seizures and febrile convulsions
- Bleeding – grazes, embedded objects, amputated parts, knocked out teeth, mouth injury, eye injury, bruising, nose bleeds and more
- Recognising and treating shock in adults, babies and children
- First aid kits
- Panic attacks and fainting
- Burns, scalds and electric shock
- Heat exhaustion, heat stroke and hypothermia
- Sprains, strains and fractures
- Head and spinal injuries
- Poisoning, bites and stings
- Foreign objects in eyes, ears or noses
- Diabetic emergencies
- Meningitis, sepsis and sickle cell disease
- Accident forms
One day – 6 hours
Paediatric First Aid Blended – 12 hours (6 hours online and 6 hours practical)
12-hour practical – only available for private groups.
Our experienced trainers will use questions and scenarios to assess your understanding and skills throughout the course.
Your certificate is awarded on the day, and is valid for 3 years.
Ofsted latest guidance on First Aid training for childcare and EYFS can be viewed here:
- Guide to registration on the Childcare Register
- Update on EYFS Framework– Page 21 for first aid training requirements
- Why choose us? We’re fully regulated through Ofqual and and Qualsafe Awards to provide accredited qualifications and as independent providers, we’re able to teach in small groups with varied course content to be totally relevant to your needs.
Latest government guidance on first aid for schools, EYFS framework and Ofsted Childcare Register can be viewed here:
- BJSN Article by Emma Hammett: Fulfilling the first aid requirements in schools
- Statutory Guidance on Supporting Pupils at School with Medical Conditions
- Guidance on First Aid for Schools
- Paediatric First Aid Requirements for Early Years Foundation Stage: Consultation June 2016
- Statutory Framework for Early Years Foundation Stage: Updated April 2017
- Guide to Registration on the Childcare Register: Ofsted Guidance
Weekday Paediatric courses:
Weekend Paediatric courses:
Should you need a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid qualification – we highly recommend the Blended learning option that fulfils the criteria for the Ofsted Early Years First Aid course. The 12 hour learning time includes 6 hours online pre-learning, followed by 6 hours practical training on one of our scheduled paediatric courses. You will be awarded a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid certificate on the day of your practical course.
For group courses: we would be delighted to run a course at a time and place to suit you and can offer 1 or 2 day Paediatric First Aid courses at special group rates, tailored to your specific needs.
As a 40-year-old and very conscientious nanny I was reassured that you didn’t let a childminder leave when she showed that she struggled with the situations and you spent extra time with her to make sure she got it right. Babies and children are left with us and so I am glad you take your job seriously. See you in 3 years!Titvana